What is content curation? Skills for content curation
Content curation is the selection, filtering and adaptation of the information we have at our disposal, that we will adapt and make sure it will reach our target audience in the right way, offering them added value.
Every day a huge amount of information is generated on the Internet, much of which can be of value to our audience, although it is not written or presented in the right way.
Therefore, [curación de contenidos]() this process has become more and more relevant and content curators (professionals who are responsible for curating content) have become true catalysts of the information that is constantly published online.
1. Skills for content curators
Content curation is something that is within the reach of practically anyone who is fairly fluent on the Internet, but being a good content curator requires a series of skills. Some of them are:
- Good management of social media and various computer tools. Understand how to use Microsoft Office tools (word processors and spreadsheets) or CMS such as WordPress.
- Internet and Google should not be a problem. Only a correct knowledge of how to search for keywords on Google will allow you to find the information that you need.
- Analytical skills. Manage and classify the information obtained to bring it to your audience correctly, and identify what is not true.
- Knowledge of the subject to be “curated”. At least average knowledge of the subject to be treated is necessary or the content generated will not be attractive/of sufficient quality.
- It is also necessary to know how to use words correctly. Without the right communication skills, the receiver will not understand the right message being conveyed.
- Write correctly and without spelling mistakes in your native language. It may seem obvious, but without a doubt you must have near-perfect reading, grammatical, lexical and spelling comprehension.
2. Steps for content curation
Content curation can be divided into several phases, at the end of which the content curation process must be completed:
- Choose a topic of interest to our target audience.
- Search for relevant and complete information in order to offer quality content.
- Organize and filter the data obtained from the different search channels.
- Add more relevant value to existing content.
- Promote the content using the appropriate channels.
- Measure the results obtained and confirm whether the KPI’s set have been met.
3. Best tools for content curation
There are a multitude of tools for content curation and different creators will work with different software, but the ones shown below are clearly very valuable for content curation:
– Google Alerts. Great for creating alerts with the keyword or key phrases you want.
– Feedly. A classic tool that will notify you when a digital media of your interest publishes new content.
– Flipboard. It allows you to create a “digital magazine” with your favorite content and when you access it, it shows it at a glance.
– Pocket. It allows you to collect articles and information that, while surfing the Internet, is useful to you.
– Paper.li**:** It allows you to compose, for free, a “digital magazine” based on your information objectives.