What is a banner?
Banners are advertising elements inserted into web pages to promote and give visibility to brands, products and services.
They work in a similar way to a billboard on a highway, they try to capture our attention and generate brand awareness, but they also try to direct traffic to the website of the company that paid for the banner.
Creating an effective banner that captures the visitor’s attention and encourages them to click on it is a task that requires a lot of experience and knowledge. These are the keys to creating a successful banner:
– Create an attractive but clean design: the banner should have a design that allows for easy reading and a clear message. You should match the color of the banner to the color of the landing page you want to send the user to when they click on the banner.
– It should include a call to action: place a CTA or call to action to capture the customer’s attention and inform the visitor that they must click to access the desired offer/information. You could include CTAs such as: Download now, Click now, Register now, Get it for free, etc.
– With a slogan and logo: try to use a slogan that catches the eye and makes the banner unique. Of course, take the opportunity to add your logo as much as possible to make it more recognizable. We’ve already published lots of information on what a slogan is and examples.
– The right size: the size of the banner is very important, as there are many formats and sizes of banners. Therefore, to choose the size, you need to know where it will be placed on the page so that it has the right shape and size.
The advantages of using banners in digital marketing campaigns are numerous and include the following ones:
- They are very easy to visualize.
- Their performance is easily measured.
- They adapt to different formats and devices.
- They are relatively inexpensive to use.
- It is very easy to control whether they are being displayed or not.
We are surrounded by banners and the choice of banner size is decisive for the success or failure of the campaign you create. There are countless sizes and formats, but here are the most commonly accepted in Google Ads:
Leaderboard. It has a size of 728 x 90 pixels and is perhaps the most commonly used, usually placed in the navigation bar (often used in forums).
Medium rectangular ad. With a size of 300 x 250 pixels, known as “medium rectangle”, it is also very popular and is placed in the sidebar.
Large rectangular ad. This banner has a size of 336 x 280 pixels and, once again, is very popular. It is usually placed in the sidebar and in the main content.
Skyscraper ad. Its size varies from 160 x 600 pixels to 120 x 160 pixels and it is usually placed on the right margin of web pages.
Each advertising platform has its own banner sizes, for example, on Facebook, the sizes 600 x 315, 600 x 600, 1,080 x 1,080 and 1,080 x 1,920 pixels are very common. On Instagram, the most common sizes are 400 x 500, 1,080 x 1,080 and 1,080 x 1,920 pixels.